During the early 1980’s, the communities of Fairview, Fork Shoals, and Hillside, SC, found ourselves in a “no man’s land” – that is, we were surrounded by fire departments, but none to serve us.
Concerned residents tried unsuccessfully to annex with neighboring fire departments. Obviously, the only solution was to form our own fire department. Land for the main station, on the corner of Hillside Church Road and McKelvey Road, was donated by the A. O. Neves family. The building was erected in the spring of 1985, and proudly displays the name “Neves Station”.
Why the name Canebrake?
The name was chosen because of its impartiality. The Battle of Canebrake, a Revolutionary War battle, was fought in the upper part of the fire district on South Harrison Bridge Road. Canebrake Fire Department has also battled its way through many obstacles to become the success that it is today.
We are a combination department with 3 full time staff and approximately 25 part-time and volunteer members. We have 4 stations in total with 1 maned station at 1810 Fairview Road.